July 21, 2013

Beyond the limits

Did you know that I have been listing lots and lots of vintage?

Did you also know that I take photos of my models outside of my storage unit?


That is indeed a garage door you see behind these beauties. Having recently moved into a sweet and small home, I had to put my vintage in a storage unit so that i could actually live in my house. rather than haul the vintage elsewhere for photoshoots, i decided to bring the models up there to shoot. i created a little "dressing room" amongst all the dresses and racks, and we use the natural light (plus natural beauty) to shoot all the outfits. 


while it may not be perfect, and i am always working on refining my photos, it certainly works. it is also important for me to make things work, regardless of the circumstances. as a vintage seller, there is always something that could be better, prettier, smoother, etc. for me, i find it's important to navigate around or through these issues, rather than let them be total blocks. because sometimes that can happen - i.e. "i don't have a perfect space for shooting, therefore i cannot shoot at all." i have had that thought so many times, my friends. so many times.


very often, i think about this:


to pursue our passions, we have to start where we are. we have to use the resources that are within our reach, that we can touch with our fingers. we must do something each day, for the oh-so-distant day we sometimes imagine is not as relevant as this day, these actions, these resources. each day calls for something different, really: a different approach, strategy, or technique.

for me, i feel the impact of the seasons on my work. for instance, in summer, my son is home every day. all day. the workspace changes, the work day changes. priorities change and possibilities shift. it is up to me to recognize this and to gracefully move with it. sometimes i'm better at it than others. here is Asher during my most recent shoot:


improvise, improvise, improvise. right? what do you think? do you ever limit yourself unintentionally because you feel like something else is limiting you?

and what is your favorite vintage item in the photos?! i am loving the rayon florals. there are really some gems in the whole 90s comeback trend; i'm a fan.



7 comments:

  1. You are such a little dynamo. So inspiring. i always get caught up in trying to make every aspect perfect before creating, working, taking a picture, etc etc and sometimes it needs to happen more organically than that.

    Also, I'm smitten with your current offerings! The cherry red 80s dress is my favorite, hands down. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! That whole "do what you can where you are with what you have" mantra is so important! And also so easy to forget and get caught up in wishing for more, or feeling like success would only be possible if you had this new thing or that other thing to make it happen. This post is definitely an inspiration, because you're doing it - and it all looks so great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can really relate to this. I have a natural body product store on Etsy, and 2 other stores, one vintage clothing, and one is art and vintage household items. On body products my shooting areas are easy close up, small staging areas. On the vintage clothing you always feel a real challenge to show it in the best light. Coordinating modeling is difficult, and my own self conscioussness to self photograph. I have a mannequin, but never feel like i am getting 100% Your models and clothes look wonderful, you should be proud of your ability to improvise and create such beautiful results. P.S. I pretty much live my life day to day working with what I have and trying to make the very best of it, I just need to translate that more into presenting my goods???? to the world. Thanks for the food for thought.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the way the photos look in front of the garage door! I totally hear you about doing what you can with what you have and eventually, if we make the most of what we've got, our circumstances will change and we will be able to do more :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. YES! LOVE! I had no idea your pics were outside a storage unit, haha! The light is wonderful and it is a great backdrop to show off the colours and textures girl! I love the red. I'm going to try and remember these wise words of yours "to pursue our passions, we have to start where we are. we have to use the resources that are within our reach, that we can touch with our fingers. we must do something each day, for the oh-so-distant day we sometimes imagine is not as relevant as this day, these actions, these resources. each day calls for something different, really: a different approach, strategy, or technique." x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love Love Love the red and and white flowered romper! Karoline is not so bad on the eyes either! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the red and the solid white shirt waist, black and purple flowerd keyhole dress is also awesome
    also love that Asher hangs out and reads in the back of Perky during your photo shoots
    what a wonder child

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments. Thank you thank you for leaving them for me to read and love.